First time readers

So you finally found this blog. Not sure how (unless I told you) The blog is about my random life. My job, games, movies or anything that interest me. Feel free to comment or just enjoy the ride.

Friday, May 24, 2019

The Americans

I think I'm starting a new post about the series I watch. Nothing riveting or groundbreaking in literature. Just my thoughts on how a show that I've watched so far

The americans title card.png

Seasons: 6
Episode Count: 75
Season 1: Good
Season 2: Better
Season 3: Great
Season 4: The best by far (Peaked)
Season 5: Went downhill
Season 6: Stick the landing

Staring: Focusing on the main characters (Thus its called the Americans)
Matthew Rhys (Honestly, no idea who he is. He has an extensive career according to his IMDB page but this is the first time I'm seeing him. His face always looks troubled.
Keri Russle (First of all I got to say, she is smoking hot. I've known her for her Felicity days as well as Mission Impossible 3)

What is it about?
A typical suburban family with two kids. They seem normal to everybody else but they are actually Russians spies sent to the US by the Soviets to steal state secrets. (It's actually based on true events). They need to juggle their normal american lives, their kids (who don't know they are spies) and living next door with an FBI agent.

What did I liked?
It turns out what they are doing for us as viewers seems cruel and heartless but for them its the patriotic thing to do. I love how they can change their persona and behavior depending on what they are wearing at the time. To be so angry and stoic in one part and lovable and funny in another without anyone suspecting. The episodes are build up as small arcs with smaller cases in them. You need to watch at least the first 4 episodes to appreciate the complexity of the plot. Once you have finish season 1... You're hooked.

Character development 
(Items are blacked out so It won't be spoiled for anyone)
Phillip Jennings : I love his character the most. He starts of believing on what he is doing is good but slowly throughout the seasons he realized that these people are human too and he is hurting them in some way. He has one of the best arcs from start till finish
Elizabeth Jennings: This girl is total hardcore for Mother Russia. She is ruthless is getting what she wants. I started of liking her and then hating her. By the end of the show she finally redeemed herself but with multiple bodies along the way.
Paige Jennings: She shows that you can't tell your kids bad news. They sure don't know how to react. Paige showed that a couple of seasons. It was realistic rather than he was on board with his parents being spies. In the end of season 6, she became a spy herself. I didn't like how her character ended since we won't know what will happen.
Henry Jennings: He was there just to move the plot. 
Stan Beeman: Another of my favorite character. He has to be the crappiest FBI agent alive. His wife dumps him, his partner was killed, boss was shot, secretary was a spy, his best friend turned out the be Russian and finally his wife may or may not be also working for the Russians. I hope things go well for Stan

Notable storylines:
They convince and FBI secretary to spy on the counterintelligence office 
They almost got caught multiple time but manage to flee at the last second 
Elizabeth made friends with a Korean girl and hated when she had to broke it off
Phillip married the FBI secretary and revealing who he really is 
The Soviets are trying to recruit their kids into the program
The finale where Stan finally discover the truth... was very touching 
Stan falls in ove with her informant who turns out to be a triple agent in the end

What I didn't liked 
There are plenty of sex scene but all the boobs are covered... booooo
The Russian plotline. By Russian I mean anything that is taking place in Russia, the embassy or involving russian people. The plotline is not that interesting 

Verdict:
This is a series that should be watched at least once. I don't think this can warrant a multiple viewing. Its extremely heavy and probably you require a palette cleanser after this 

No comments:

Post a Comment