First time readers

So you finally found this blog. Not sure how (unless I told you) The blog is about my random life. My job, games, movies or anything that interest me. Feel free to comment or just enjoy the ride.

Wednesday, September 27, 2017

Game Gear



Game-Gear-Handheld.jpg



History 
This console was my first handheld console. I piratically begged my dad to buy me one for my birthday. The game that I got was a copy of Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (the game was not that great by I've played until multiple times). After a while my dad got me a multicart 18 in 1 game with a lot of different great titles likes Sonic Chaos and Power Rangers. The Game Gear was an awesome console because of two things. Colour and back light. There is also a very slight problem with it. It eats a lot of batteries. 6 to be exact. I remember lugging around a case full of batteries for every time a battery would die. Eventually I got a wall adapter so I can continue playing my games without any trouble (need to put a rubber band on the console since the adapter wouldn't stay on properly). The console died after 1 year but it gave me a lot of great memories. This was also my last console that I own for a while since I am a kid with no income and my mom doesn't like me playing games.

The Games
There are all genre of games represented in the Game Gear. Most of them are ports of Genesis or Master System games. Most of the great games are not from Sega apparently.  A lot of sports games for the Game Gear which doesn't play well in my opinion

The Good 
The side scrolling action genre games play well in the here. Fighting games as well translate properly and controls are responsive. Some games are even better than their genesis ports.

The Bad
The small Game Gear screen makes seeing anything in front in close to impossible. You will die multiple times in sonic because of missing a jump. Some games are not fun to play at all due to the fact the controls are not all there

The Ugly
The crushing difficulty and where some games really butcher the source material. Spider-man for the Game Gear sucks.

Conclusion
The Game Gear Games does not age well. Only 10 games from a total of  257 games that survive the test of time. Well at least this system is put to rest and will go on in gaming history as the handheld that tried to beat the Game Boy


NES (30/787 games) 3.81% replayability
Master System (5/280 games) 1.79% replayability 
Gameboy (31/555 games) 5.59% replayability 
Genesis
Neo Geo   (136 games)
Game Gear  (10/257 games) 3.89% replayability 
SNES


No comments:

Post a Comment