First time readers

So you finally found this blog. Not sure how (unless I told you) The blog is about my random life. My job, games, movies or anything that interest me. Feel free to comment or just enjoy the ride.

Thursday, July 20, 2023

Trek to Yomi

Reminds me of an old classic 

Game no: 509
Genre: Action 
Platform: PS5 
Release Date: 2022

Trek to Yomi is about a tale of loss, love, revenge, duty and honor. It is basically a whole package. You play as Hiroki a samurai warrior in task of protecting the village. What it doesn't say that the events leading up to your village demise will lead you to a path of discovery of your true self. This game is presented like an old Japanese samurai movie. It all black and white just with different hues. It even comes with a old film grain filter so that you can make it feel like your in an actual movie. It is however a 2.5D game where you only can move in either left or right with the occasional free roam. The camera is already at a fixed point and it doesn't get annoying since the path is just straightforward.

Combat in this game is amazing. It reminds me of the old PS1 game Bushido blade. Where you only have 1 to 3 swipes to kill your opponent. You have only 3 buttons, light, heavy attack and block. The challenge comes in your stamina meter so that you can't just spam the button over and over again to kill the enemy (I did that and I find that you die faster by doing that). So in this game you need to observe what you enemy is doing and attack when there is an opening. It gives this game a layer of strategy and honestly it is quite fun when you get to execute 5 bad guys around you with just prefect timing. You also have the aid of projectile weapons when you need a breather and there is more enemies on screen. 


The game is not that long and you can play it at small chunks at a time and still have a great time. The story for me is a mixed bag. You will either like it or you don't. There are multiple story branches to choose from and that will make the outcome different. I choose the really bad ending but it okay. After the end I was satisfied at what the game want to give me. A great action game. In the end Trek to Yomi is not for everyone. The game rewards you for patience and I did enjoy my time with it.
S Rank for me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment