First time readers

So you finally found this blog. Not sure how (unless I told you) The blog is about my random life. My job, games, movies or anything that interest me. Feel free to comment or just enjoy the ride.

Sunday, March 19, 2023

Marvels Guardians of the Galaxy

This is the longest time between games that I finally finish a game

Game no: 501
Genre: Action  
Platform: PS5 
Release Date: 2021

When I first booted this game up I knew that I was knew I was in for a treat since my only knowledge of Guardians of the Galaxy (GotG) is only through the MCU. I can say that the only similarities are the characters of from the movies. Everything else is different in every way. We got Star-Lord who knew he was half alien since they address it when he was young. Gamora who apparently killed Thanos in this timeline and now is just a hired assassin. Drax who is actually like the movie counterpart. Rocket and Groot who are also the same but with some subtle differences here and there. 

I thought that this game would play like a Final Fantasy 7 Remake where you can switch between 5 characters in
combat but it turns out that you play the entire game as Star-Lord since you are the leader of the group. Star-Lord arsenal consist of his two elemental guns which has a standard fire with a reload cooldown. The guns doesn't provide that much damage but the special moves that he has is enough to provide with variety in combat. The difference of combat in this game is that you control the other Guardians via action prompt on screen. Each guardians are AI controlled but you can assign commands for extra and more powerful attacks such as Rocket's bombs or Gamora extra slice. Sprinkle with some puzzles, platforming, some mini games and story you got yourself an awesome adventure 


The story is an epic one. The reason why I stayed in the game is that I this story basically shows the beginnings of them starting to hate each other and by the end they become a family who loves each other and would sacrifice everything to save the other person. The story however is a long one with clocking at close to 18 hours is like watching a space opera unfold. Everyone has a chance to shine in this game even Groot even though he doesn't talk that much.

What I liked about this game is that the story is engaging and combat are fun to play. You really get the sense of being in a team when you are fighting together. There are also puzzle segments which is Guardian has a special unique skill where  you as Star-Lord need to
navigate and tell them what to do. It gets a bit confusing  at time but the voice prompts are there to help you. There are also flying segments where you control the Milano but that is not anything special. But this game really overstayed its welcome by being a bit too long and too repetitive in the combat sense. You end up going to one area to fight the same group of bad guys only to end up fighting the same group of bad guys in front as well. At the end I am like when will this end. 

In the end I preserved and watch the end credits and I can say that this is one of the best narrative games I've played in a long while. This is already a contender for game of the year for me but I know this game is not for everyone. I give an A-Rank due to the gameplay being repetitive despite an awesome story and combat mechanics

No comments:

Post a Comment